Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Divorce: the good

When my parents got divorced I met my mom's boyfriend, Henri. Henri is deaf, he has been deaf since he was 3 years old. I thought it would be pretty cool having a deaf person in the house, and I was right. Last year I found out that Henri was going to marry my mom, I was extreamly happy. I love Henri and all my friends think it's cool that he's deaf. I am fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) so I know how to communicate with Henri when my mom is not in the house. Because I know ASL I can have a conversation with henri's friends. I sometimes wish my mom and dad were together again, but when I think about then I would have never met Henri.

4 comments:

  1. Eli,
    Your blog message is great! It is insightful, thoughtful and thought-provoking. I look forward to the next installment. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Love you,

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli,
    I truly appreciate your message in the 2nd installment. Considering your experiences and feelings about divorce - Do you have advice for divorced people (and other family members) as to how they can improve their children's situation?

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think kids and their parents should have meetings so they know how everyone is felling. I think families should also spend more time together not just let the kids watch tv or play on their game boy 24/7

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have your own family, Eli, I think you will be a wonderful father. You have the essential element all figured out: families should spend more time together. Absolutely. The time that I spend with you and Hannah is very precious to me, and I think it is important for you and for Hannah too. It means more than anything else in the world to me. I just wish I had more of it! That is what is so "bad" and "ugly" about divorce: it tears families apart.

    I love you Eli, Daddy

    ReplyDelete